Skip to main content

Updates and notices regarding the Unclaimed Property program. Learn more.

Document Requirements

The information below provides a detailed overview of the most common types of documents that you may need to upload to support your claim.  All claims are unique, and the documents required depend on the type of claimant you are and the claim’s complexity.

Please note that any personal information gathered in relation to your claim will not be disseminated to third parties or the public without your consent, other than as may be required by the Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.


What do I need to upload?

Documentation to prove identity

You must provide sufficient documentation to verify your identity. Your claim will not be processed without this documentation. Whether you are claiming as an individual, legal representative, joint owner or for a business, you must provide the following for every claim submitted:

  1. Colour photographs of both sides of the owner/claimant's government issued piece(s) of identification, showing the current address.  Your identification verification documents must be:
    1. valid
    2. include your name, date of birth, photo and signature
    3. be issued by a federal, provincial, territorial or state government authority. Accepted documents include:
      1. driver’s licence
      2. passport
      3. Canadian military identification card
      4. government-issued identification card
  2. A copy of documentation verifying the owner/claimant's current address listed on the claim submission. Examples include a copy of a recent bill, pay stub, etc.
  3. If you are claiming as an individual owner and your name has changed from the name associated with the property, proof of previous name or name change are required. Examples include marriage license, divorce decree, etc.
  4. For claims exceeding $1,000, we may require additional verification of identification documents.


Documentation to prove ownership

Ownership documentation is required to specifically prove your ownership of the property. The types of ownership documentation required may vary, depending on the type of claimant, type of claim and the information provided by the business or entity reporting the unclaimed property (holder).

The most common forms of documentation accepted are:

  1. last five (5) digits of the owner’s Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  2. drivers licence number
  3. Proof of address associated with the property
  4. If the holder did not provide the owner’s SIN or driver’s licence number, but did provide a last known address, you may prove ownership by providing documentation that links you to that last known address. Examples include a post marked envelope, cancelled cheque, credit report, pay stub or utility bill.
  5. Proof of doing business with the holder that reported the property. Examples may include account statements or account numbers, or policy documentation.
  6. If the holder did not provide a SIN, drivers licence number or last known address, then the documentation you provide must show a connection or link you to the specific property. Examples include the following:
    1. an insurance policy 
    2. original uncashed cheque
    3. bank book
    4. share certificate
    5. account statements
    6. contract or court documents
    7. proof of former employment

Complex claims and claims over $1,000 may require more documentation. Additional evidence will be requested on a case-by-case basis by the claims officer.  The claims officer may work with you and the holder to try to obtain sufficient proof of ownership.


Documentation to prove authorization to claim

Documentation to prove your authorization to claim may depend on the type of claimant you are. Claimants can be:

Individual owners: If you are claiming as an individual owner and have provided documentation to prove identity and ownership, you will not be required to provide further documents to prove your authorization to claim. All validated claims for individual owners will be payable to the individual owner. The approved claim will be mailed to the address on the individual owner’s identification documents. Note: If you make a request to send the cheque to another address, you will be required to provide additional information and/or documentation prior to approval.

Legal representative of individual owner: All validated claims made by a legal representative will be payable to the individual owner, except for claims on behalf of deceased owners (claims are payable to the estate) and claims by creditors under 26(1)(b) of the Unclaimed Property Act (Act) (payable in accordance with court order).

If you are claiming as the legal representative, you must provide proof that you are authorized by the owner to claim the properties on their behalf, OR that you are acting in some official capacity, such as an executor or administrator of the owner’s estate.  Proof of authorization to claim on owners’ behalf may include:

  1. power of attorney document
  2. trustee documentation
  3. guardianship documentation
  4. legal agreement to locate unclaimed property, in compliance with s. 52 of the Act
  5. lawyer acting on behalf of an Owner under ss. 52(5) of the Act

Proof you are acting in an official capacity as a legal representative may include: 

  1. If claiming for a deceased individual:

    1. copy of will
    2. probate certificate or letters of administration 
    3. death certificate
  2. If claiming as a creditor:
    1. court order in accordance with paragraph 26(1)(a) of the Act

Corporate or Business Owner: If you are claiming property owned by a business and you are an officer or director of that corporation or business with authority to make this claim, you must provide proof of your authority to claim for the business. Documents provided must show the name of the company and your name as the person claiming on behalf of the company (claimant), and your relationship to the business.  Examples may include:

  1. corporate registry entry
  2. partnership agreements
  3. annual reports
  4. shareholder agreements.

If you are claiming for a business that has since been dissolved, you must provide information verifying your authorization to claim on behalf of the business, including documentation about the dissolution and your entitlement to assets of the dissolved business. 

If the name of the business has changed or you are claiming on behalf of a subsidiary, documentation of the name change or ownership of the parent company must be provided.  Examples may include purchase or sale agreement or subsidiary documentation. 

Depending on the complexity of the claim, a notarized Letter of Authorization proving the claimant’s authority to act on behalf of the business or organization may be requested. 

All validated corporate or business claims will be payable to the business name, unless the business is dissolved or sold, and then will be payable in accordance with the proof of ownership documentation.

Legal Representative of a Corporate or Business Owner: If you are a legal representative of a corporate or business owner, you will need to provide authority to claim as noted above under Corporate or Business Owner. In addition, you must also provide proof of your legal relationship with the business. Examples may include court orders, agreements, etc.

© 2024 Financial and Consumer Services Commission. All Rights Reserved.